Thursday, May 5, 2011

Discovering the Mission of Motherhood

Chapter 1, A Journey Like No Other (if it's in quotes then it's Sally's words, NOT MINE!)

"God designed motherhood to be a deeply meaningful role."

I have always known motherhood is important, hard, full of joys, full of frustration, and a job created by God. But the question of what exactly does God want us to do as mothers? What is God's design for this role? I don't actually believe I'd given that much thought. Scary, should have done that before having children. (Note to self: teach this to Caroline and Charlotte!)

"These precious little ones had endless needs. They were busy little sinful creatures who demanded all of my body, time life emotions and attention. As much as I loved my children I often felt like a failure."

Now to be fair, this is not how I felt at first. But as time went on, as children got older, as more came well, the job of being a mama became more complicated. Knowing God's plan/design/role would be helpful. I became determined to find out. And NEVER stop learning about it.

I also knew I wanted to secure a spiritual legacy for my children. I knew to do this I would need to have a very close relationship with each one. Good thing I truly enjoy spending time with my kids. But what is the best way to form this relationship? Quality time, quantity? Training, teaching, guiding. Honestly, I had no idea how the best way to do this would be. What should I focus on? What should I let go of? I knew God had thought of all of this and had provided the answers. He is so faithful that way.

"As we tenderly care for our children, meeting their needs, teaching them and guiding them, praying for them and modeling our faith, we are also anchoring their hearts to our home, our values and our beliefs. These ties are built over a period of many years, through the small ways we spend the minutes of our days and the large ways we celebrate the momentous events in our lives."

"The mother who reaches the heartfelt needs of her child by helping them feel loved and secure, by believing in their dreams, by noticing when they stray and gently steering them back in the right direction, and by teaching them what they need to know to live full and meaningful lives accomplishes a great work for the Lord."

Yes! This is what I need to know more about. How does God instruct me as a mama to do this?

SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT:

Psalm 127:3 Sons are a heritage from the Lord. Children are a reward from Him.

This is how God feels about children. I'm so glad and thankful he made my heart in the same accord on this. I know this is not a common thought about children for many people today. So this is one hurdle I do not have to get over. I know my kids are a gift from Him. Which is one of the main reasons I want to do the job in a way that would glorify God.

Psalm 127:1 Unless the Lord builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Unless the Lord watches over the city, the watchmen stand guard in vain.

The secret to a Godly family is for THE LORD TO BUILD IT, BE AT THE CENTER OF IT. If we as parents, me as a mom, are not following God's path then all of my work will be in vain. What a waste that would be. How scary. That would be failing my children. And I do not want to do that. And I know God does not want me to fail either because He put the desire in my heart to be a mama. I praise Him for that!

SOMETHING TO TRY:

Schedule a personal planning time to evaluate your own goals. Write down your goals for your family, for each child. How are you falling short? How can you do better? Spend time in prayer committing this to the Lord.

An action plan! I am all about that. But I need to remember to pray and commit these goals to the Lord. I need to slow down and not get excited and run on ahead of God's plans and timing. I need to rest and be still in Him. This can be hard for me. But if I desire to be a Godly mama, the best for my children, I can do this!


1 comment:

Amanda said...

Well, I certainly have a lot to chew on today.

But I like it.

Alot.

My hearts desire is matching up with yours Virginia, the problem is that I feel like I fail more times than not.

So, for me understanding the true "Mission of Motherhood" is what I need.

I'm really enjoying this and I can't wait to read more of your thoughts on this.

Love,
Amanda